Been looking for the best fridge for a bus conversion? Here's a list of the most used fridge/freezers used in bus and van conversions.
*Note: These are fridges/freezers that are used the most in short bus conversions. If you have full size fridge/freezers for bigger builds let us know what you use!
Mr. Heater / Basecamp Systems 42 qt. fridge/freezer
This fridge / freezer has been tested and used by Bus Life Adventure for over two years and we find that the thick insulation and ability to add ice and have a drain in the bottom allows us to keep the load off our solar power in hot weather. It also has the ability to shut the fridge / freezer off if the level of the battery is getting too low. This is helpful in not running your house or vehicle batteries dead and leave you stranded.
- Rated as freezer 0-32 degrees F, Refrigerator greater than 33 degrees F
- Runs on 120 volt AC or 12 volt DC
- Average 12 volt DC consumption equals .74 A per hour
- Remote wireless readout showing internal temperature, battery voltage, and condition
- Digital electronic temperature control
- Adjustable battery cut out with three individual settings
- Internal LED lights in compartment and open lid alarm
- Exterior stainless steel, internal aluminum with wire storage baskets
- Drain for ability to add ice if no power is available.
- Product Dimensions: 21"H x 23.5"W x 17"D
- Price: $649.99 plus free shipping to US residential addresses (this price only offered by Bus Life Adventure here.)
Whynter 45 qt. Fridge / Freezer
This fridge / freezer has been used and tested by Mark and Karin in the school bus conversion and for their setup runs right off the motor battery.
- Capacity: 45 Quarts or 60 Cans (12FL oz)
- Operates as a refrigerator or freezer
- 8-feet AC power cord and 5-feet DC power cord and two removable wire baskets are included
- "Fast Freeze" mode rapidly cools to -8°F
- Voltage power AC (115V/ 60Hz – 65W/ 0.75A) or DC (12V/24V – 4.5A /2.5A Car Lighter Socket)
- Wattage: 65 Watts
- Product Dimensions: 18 x 28 x 20.8 inches
- Price: $494 (average on Amazon)
Norcold 68 qt. Fridge Freezer
This fridge / freezer has been used and tested by Dani and Roland in their sprinter van conversion for a few years. They did have some parts fail but NorCold is a widely known brand in RV's so it was easy to get replacement parts.
- Exceptionally quiet, hermetically-sealed compressor
- 12-volt fan aids airflow across condenser and compressor for improved cooling
- Off-level operation up to 30°
- Full-width freezer compartment; convenient, large container storage
- Expressly designed for reliability in marine and RV applications
- Reversible decorator door; black panel and charcoal cabinet
- Durable and easy-to-clean white powder-coated shelves
- Power Source: 120V/AC; 12V/DC
- Limited one-year warranty
- Interior Volume: 2.8 cu. ft.; Net weight 62 lbs
- Product dimension: 30-7/8"H x 20-1/2"W x 20-1/8"D
- Price: $1,288 (average on Amazon)
Generic 2.1 cu ft. Mini Fridge/Freezer Propane Gas - 110v - 12v
This fridge/freezer is a common one in RV's and I've seen a handful of skoolies who pull an old one from a junker RV. One nice thing is that it can run off LP (propane), 12v or 110v.
- Temperature Range: 32℉~50℉
- AC 110V or DC 12V Gas 3-way absorption small refrigerator fridge
- Rear Mounted, Reversible Door, 2 Balconies, Piezo Ignition, Flame Indicator, Automatic defrost, LED light, Sealed system, No Freon, no pollution, low energy consumption
- Product dimension: 18.7 x 18.9 x 26.6 inches
- Price $489 (average on Amazon)
Found this blog helpful? Thank us and buy us a beer!