Snikwah Hydro Essential Review
By: Brock Butterfield
We had the opportunity to try out the Hydro Essential from Snikwah while on the Colorado River just outside Moab, UT. It only seemed appropriate that we give the Snikwah Hydro Essential a review. This shirt is designed as a rashguard with a soft and comfortable fabric that conforms to your body without making you feel like you're being squeezed to death by a python.
Being a ginger with skin that sizzles like bacon in the sun it's important to battle the harsh UV rays on a daily basis. Add water to the equation and I really have to make sure I'm applying that sun block every 45 minutes otherwise I look like the Kool-aid man without the smile. The great thing about the Hydro Essential is the fabric that is UPF 50+ which makes the ladies (or my dude friends) happy because they don't have to slather sun block on my back. I also don't feel super greasy all day and my skin can actually breathe.
Two nice features of this shirt are the thumb holes for covering up my hands and the added fabric around the neck that can be pulled up for a facemask if the sun is really beating down and I forgot my hat. My first concern was that it would be too hot wearing any type of shirt in 100+ weather but surprisingly it lets air flow through and if you take a dip in the water it holds the perfect amount of moisture to keep you cool.
- Great rashguard material for surfing.
- UPF 50+ to keep the skin cancer at bay.
- Extra fabric around the neck for sun protection and facemask.
- Thumbholes for protecting your hands.
- The tag on the inside bottom of the shirt can be a little bothersome if you tuck the shirt into your shorts like a true kook.
- Sizes run a little big or take into the fact that I'm a scrappy guy.
- Extra fabric around neck can be a little irritating if you're running on day three of no shaving.
If you're in the water a lot and want to battle the sun without gallons of SPF and want a great rashguard pick you up one of these great shirts. The Snikwah Hydro Essential is the best water shirt for surfing, SUP, river trips and lounging on the beach. You can learn more about Snikwah and their drive to make the best product here.